Wednesday 19 September 2018

Seeds of Self Doubt !


Since seeing my last Willow Emerald Damselfly back in October 2014, I always pause and check for a sighting as I pass the  "Troll Bridge " at Rainham RSPB.
I have had no luck until recently, when as I checked, not really expecting to see anything of interest, unbelievably there was a Damselfly on an overhanging twig in front of the bridge, I was sure it was a Willow Emerald, even more so when a second individual turned up close by. I set about trying to get a reasonable photograph so I could check my identification later.

Sighting one  Willow Emerald Damselfly

Sighting Two  - Willow Emerald Damselfly ?





























All the key identification points looked good I thought, metallic green body, no blue markings on S2 and S10 , pale wing spots, black and cream leg colouring, and just a hint of a spur on the side of the thorax.

And here lies my dilemma, as I watched these lovely Damselflys, a passerby inquired what I was looking at,  I pointed out the Damselflys I presumed were Willow Emeralds, here comes the seeds of self doubt, he informed me that there were also Common Emeralds breeding here in this same spot.

As he moved off leaving me doubting my observation, could these possibly be teneral female Common Emeralds I was beginning to ponder.

One further sighting in the woodland bramble still left me doubting my original identification, but all the key points were there.

 I was thinking that the Common Emeralds were getting near the end of there flight period surely there wouldn't still be teneral females around, which can cause confusion. Willow Emeralds are reaching their peak flying time. but I am no expert, this third sighting did look quite good for a Willow Emerald.

sighting 3 Willow Emerald ?
.
The above sightings were made at the end of August, I have been back several times now, and it seems to be that the Willow Emeralds have vastly increased their population, on each visit now I have made numerous sightings throughout September, the latest sighting being 18th September , mainly around woodland where the reeds have been trimmed back from the boardwalks. Hopefully these are all Willow Emerald sightings as all the key I.D. points seem to be there.






Male & Female Willow Emerald Damselfly

This last photograph I think confirms my original identification, a male and female Willow Emerald Damselfly in tandem. these were all seen in the first week of September.

The photographs below taken second and third week in September.






Strangely I have seen no sightings of the Common Emerald, male or female at this location, all the sightings I have made have had pale wing spots, none having a darker brown of the Common Emerald. Unless I have misidentified some of these sightings.

Here come those seeds of Self Doubt again


No comments:

Post a Comment