Sunday 7 October 2018

Araneus quadratus !


I always feel quite pleased with myself when I come across one of these, I don't know why, another relatively common and widespread species. Better known as the Four Spot Orb Weaver, these are at there most impressive as they reach full maturity as autumn approaches, especially the females.

Larger than the males, colouring reported as quite variable, most of my sightings are usally of the bright green variety, I believe they can change colour to match their surroundings, but this can take up to three or four days, this varies from dark brown to bright orange or yellowy-green, the legs are banded and quite spiky in appearance, the four white spots are unmistakable.



These are not usally found in the garden, you are more likely to be confronted by another member of the same family the Araneus diadematus  commonly called the European garden spider or Cross Spider.

 These four spot Orb weavers prefer longer undisturbed grassland, where it constructs its Orb web, sometimes with a funnel shaped retreat off to the side, always quite low down, where it feeds on jumping insects, grasshoppers and the like.

I managed to find at least three of these four spots along a untouched grass verge as I walked my grandson asleep in his pushchair towards the local park. Once again only my samsung phone to record my finds.







I've only ever come across two members of this family, this Four Spot Orb Weaver and the Cross spider, there are five other members of this family that can be found in British isles, most of which are quite scarce. so I probably won't see any of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment