Tuesday 14 May 2019

Langdon Hole Dover.


After a successful hunt for the Early Spider Orchids at Samphire Hoe, and with a few hours to spare, thought I would try my luck for a Wall Brown Butterfly at Langdon Hole. this is basically a walk along the cliff tops at Dover to a deep depression known as Langdon Hole, I read that this was  a shallow eroded valley formed by meltwater towards the end of the recent Ice age.

Quite sheltered in this area and a good place to search for Butterflies, as I walked along the cliff edge I could see Fulmars soaring along the cliff edge, made a change from gulls, I tried for a couple of flight photos, not quite there yet, but I was pleased with this shot.

Fulmar


I was watching a small falcon above the cliffs which at first I thought was a Kestrel until it suddenly pulled its wings back and went into a stoop dive, a Peregrine, my first sighting this year.
I watched it cruise along the cliff tops, just managed some distance shots, but clearly a Peregrine.


Peregrine

It was heads down now as I searched for the elusive Wall Brown, other people  seem to observe this species with ease, not for me, and all the more frustrating after missing a photo opportunity at Samphire.

Surprisingly Small Copper Butterflies seem to be everywhere together with a few Small Heath Butterflies.

Small Copper

Small Heath

Once again a few Orange Tips, Brimstone and this Large White were seen , but no sign of any Wall Browns.


Maybe another day. !


No comments:

Post a Comment