Sunday 7 July 2019

Annual Pilgrimage !

Its at this time of year I try and fit in a visit to Lullingstone Country Park,  it's the only reliable site I know to see the Dark Green Fritillary.
There's always plenty of other Butterflies to try and get some interesting photographs of, especially the Marbled Whites.





The Dark Green Butterflies seem to be attracted to area of  rough ground rich in wild flowers at the bottom of an area called the Orchid Bank, although to be honest haven't seen that many Orchids there,  a few Pyramidal, Fragrant and the odd Common Spotted Orchid, the area is surrounded by a golf course and some beautiful Kentish countryside.

The Dark Green Fritillary  seem to find the Greater Knapweed irresistible as I have mentioned in previous years visits. find the Knapweed and there's a good chance the Fritillaries will turn up, that is if the sun is shining.


So before I get on to these, a look at the Marbled Whites, I was particularly pleased with this photograph and the close encounter the Marbled White  Butterfly had with the Crab Spider waiting  to ambush the unsuspecting visitors to the flower heads. the Crab Spider I believe is possibly Xysticus cristatus, no common name for this one.

Marbled White male.






























These flowers must be rich in nectar , competition is fierce, not only from other Butterflies but honey Bees as well.



I always end up with far to many images which I would like to post, but thats impractical so I'll just try and chose my favourites of the Dark Green Fritillary

Dark Green fritillary
.



























































A fine supporting cast also visiting these flowers included the following. starting with this photograph of some Meadow Brown Butterflies, a Red Tailed Bumble bee and another crab spider.



Common Blue

Large Skipper.

Small Skipper.

 Worn Brown Argus
Small Heath
I had hoped to see some Banded Demoiselles along the river bank as I returned to the car park but the beautiful sunny morning was coming to an end as some rather ominous looking black clouds suddenly appeared. I did manage to see a few Common Blue Damselflies though as the session came to and end.

Common Blue Damselfly



No comments:

Post a Comment