Friday 24 October 2014

Jackdaws in the Rain!




Back in May this year we had a short break away in the county of Wiltshire, we stayed in the grounds of an old country house called Littlecote House, steeped in Olde English history, complete with a resident 'Ghost', lovely gardens, and some nice country walks.



The weather had been very changeable, with a few persistent rain showers.








As I sat in our room watching the rain fall at the end of the day,a family group of Jackdaws were using a telegraph pole as a viewpoint, some of the guests were putting out food for the birds, and the Jackdaws were keen to take their share.

 I have never really taken much notice of these mischievous looking birds.

  

I thought I would entertain myself with the camera and use the opportunity to try and get some practice in.



As I watched, I realised that apart from the fact that they are one of the smaller members of the corvid family, I actually know very little about them.



So what have I learnt.

 The common name derives from the word "Jack", meaning "small", and "daw", the native English name for the bird.

They are actually a smart looking bird, and quite comical as they strut around on the ground.

The sexes are very similar in appearance, their white eye gives them a distinctive look, 

The juveniles have a brownish tint to their plumage and no grey cap.

Jackdaws are omnivorous, opportunistic and highly adaptable in their choice of food. Foraging usually takes place in family groups or flocks.







The Western Jackdaw as its known is often taken for granted, but an interesting bird to watch.
As for the garden back in Kent, these are only seen as a 'fly over' usually late afternoon, as they return to their roost sites.


Heres one of its larger cousins the Carrion crow, not so popular,
bad reputation for taking nestlings and eggs of breeding birds.



And to finish off, this very attentive male blackbird caught my eye.


No comments:

Post a Comment