Tuesday 1 March 2016

Winter Warbler !


As the last few days of the 'Official' winter draws to an end, not one but three Blackcaps have made an appearance in and around the pear tree feeders, one female and two males. This is the third year running that I have recorded this feisty little Warbler in the garden, I was beginning to think they were not going to show this year.

The female was the first to be noticed feeding around the pear tree, always a bit wary, certainly not as aggressive as the males.

female Blackcap



From previous experience I know that Blackcaps are rather partial to apple, so I placed a couple of halved apples exposing the inner flesh on the feeders close to the pond, and sure enough not long after I got some good views of the female enjoying some winter fruit.




The following day the female was still feeding around the garden but I noticed a male Blackcap had now joined her, although this one was not displaying any of the aggressive tendencies I have observed before with the male Blackcap. 



And then there were two




Sharing the fat balls for a change.

As I look out of the window now the male Blackcap is still around the pond feeders although the female has not been seen for a few days. 


1 comment:

  1. Lovely birds! I've not seen a blackcap this winter, I normally get to see one in the garden area at some point.

    ReplyDelete