Saturday 25 November 2017

Shape Shifter !


As I stared out across the East Flood at Oare Marshes , a large flock of birds took to the air in the far distance, and I do mean very distant, but as the flock started to wheel around the sky the distinctive shape of a ' Murmuration' was forming.

Its been a long time since I have witnessed this spectacle, so long in fact, I can't even remember the last time I came across one.

This murmuration, which I am assuming were Starlings lasted  probably less than sixty seconds at about 15.50 hrs late afternoon, before it melted away, and the birds sank back down to their evening roosting site.

I fired off a few camera shots which shows the amazing 'shape shifting' movements of the flock. not brilliant but you get the idea.







I must make an effort to locate another site where a  spectacle like this can be seen, a nice sunset  to go with it, is probably to much to ask for.



2 comments:

  1. We had a massive one every day near where I worked. Only happened for one year. Strange how these naural phenomenon work

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos- they are so eerie and beautiful! Love watching a less dramatic murmaration on my way home from Knaresborough most evenings!

    ReplyDelete