Friday 1 December 2017

Faversham Creek - Redhead !


As the waters of Faversham Creek spilled back into the Swale, the waders began to return to there endless search for food along the freshly exposed margins of the creek. I could see a duck-like bird pulling itself out of the water onto the mud of the far bank, looked very ungainly.



Quickly identified as a Sawbill of sorts, my first thought was a redhead  Red-Breasted Merganser, these are often seen on the Swale here in the winter, nearly all my views of these have been fairly distant through a birding scope, so I was quite excited to see one relatively close, something did not look right with my initial identification, Mergansers have a more wild and wispy looking crest  around the head.

 As it moved back into the water and began fishing it was clearly not a Merganser but a fine looking female Goosander, another duck that I rarely see at close quarters.


This one moved up the creek , ocassionally dipping  its head underwater searching for prey, before it dived.
 I managed to get some relatively close photographs of this Sawbill which I usally only see at Dungeness through the winter months.







I have noticed on the local bird reports, that a second redhead Goosander has also be seen in the last few days on the creek.

 It would be nice to see the Red-Breasted Mergansers this close, you never know.

1 comment:

  1. The males are stunningly handsome, every so often we get them dropping in on local waters

    ReplyDelete