Friday 3 August 2018

Shorne Lakes


Since rediscovering the beauty of Shorne  Country Park, in particular the fishing lake area, I have revisited a number of times now, mainly in search of Dragons and Damsels but the lake area is so peaceful, its just nice to sit and take in the peaceful surroundings and see what comes along.




Waterbirds consist mainly of Mallard, Moorhen, but a lone Heron was seen checking the lake out, and Grey Wagtail was seen flying over.

As far as Dragonflys go, the discovery of the Downy Emerald was quite enlightening, I have had three good sightings as a male Downy Emerald checked me out as it patrolled along the edge of the lake, the sightings were brief, impossible for me to  get a photograph, its getting near the end of there flight season now, so maybe next year, the same goes for the Brown Hawkers always seem to be on the go, I have never found one at rest.

I have now seen fourteen out of the possible nineteen species reported from Shorne. the latest being a Small Red-eyed Damselfly

Small Red-Eyed Damselfly

I'm sure Broad bodied Chaser and Migrant Hawkers are on the list. I wonder what the other three might be.





















Four-Spotted Chaser

Black-Tailed Skimmer
Emperor 

Emperor

Ruddy Darter
Female Ruddy Darter

The lakes look deep , well stocked with fish, every now and then huge Carp can be heard sucking at the surface around the lily pads.




Butterflies abound all around the perimeter of the lakes, on the few occasions that I have visited this area I have managed to see White Admiral, Silver-Washed Fritillary, Common Blue, Holly Blue, Brown Argus, Gate keeper, Meadow Brown, Small White, Comma, Red Admiral, Ringlet and Speckled Wood. I'm sure theirs more to see.

Gatekeeper

Small Skipper

possible Brown Argus

Ringlet

Small White

More to discover I'm sure.


No comments:

Post a Comment