Sunday 9 January 2022

January 2022 - wildlife sightings

January 2nd.

 Its been a few years since I posted on this blog, joined a few facebook groups relating to wildlife, Orchids and fungi, but I think I prefer this personal blog to record my own natural sightings without any rules to adhere to.

 So here we go again.


 
I still walk my local woodland at Ashenbank, sadly my old dog is no longer with us, but he had good innings of 14 years, I often think of him as I walk these familiar paths albeit with a new younger dog who keeps me company as I look for new natural wonders.

Its now early January, and I have been searching for Scarlet Elfcups, these usally start to appear about this time, finally, after rooting around in the leaf litter at last years site, I found one fully developed Scarlet Elfcup and two emerging elfcups, I'm sure more will follow as the month progresses.








January 4th

Noticed this little non descript moth on the kitchen door late at night , a bit of field book investigation narrowed it down to a possible Winter Moth which emerge late winter. this looks like a male as the female are wingless.
considered to be a pest, damaging fruit trees and other broad leaved trees.









January 6th




Noticed a couple of  ominous piles of feathers under the bird feeding station, blue tit and probable house sparrow . today caught the culprit sitting next to the feeders, a fine looking male Sparrowhawk, and later caught him again sitting in the pear tree, managed a photograph although not very sharp.

 Looks like our local birds need to stay alert, 











January 8th - Star gazing with the naked eye while late night dog walking, Its hard not to notice the Orion Constellation at the moment, tried a photo with my samsung phone, which really surprised me, just managed to pick out some of the main stars, quite excited to see the orange glow from the star known as " Betelgeuse" 

 Orions belt led me down to another bright star which I think is Sirius the dog star which in turn led me on to another constellation Canis Major or Orions hound. although I could only pick out two stars with the naked eye. ( Sirius and  Mirzam) 

I can see how this can become addictive. now waiting for another clear night to search for Canis Major.


Jan 10th. - A cold frosty walk with my dog through the local woodlands today revealed more Scarlet Elfcups in the small patch of moss covered undergrowth with a few Jelly Ears also, not much else on the fungi scene, interestingly a few Great Spotted Woodpeckers were evident by there drumming, echoing around the woodland, surprised to see some Bluebell and Daffodil shoots starting to appear.





Jan 14th - Star gazing continues on my evening Dog walk, fortunately another clear night, manage to locate " Orions Hound "   Sirius  very visible the stars in the Hound constellation all just visible with the naked eye, bar one.

 


January 17th-  Another clear night albeit with a new full moon gave me one more opportunity to look for the Pleiades and the Taurus constellation not to far away from the Obvious Orion formation, so shouldn't be that difficult.  just about visible with the naked eye, although my dog not very patient while I try and take photo with my phone.


 

19th January - Ashenbank woodland walk has been cold and frosty these last few mornings, More birds showing now Great Spotted Woodpecker, Green Woodpecker, Robins Great Tits, Chaffinch, Jays Wren  and lately more Redwings seen searching through the leaf litter, not much on the fungi front , the Scarlet Elfcups still developing, Turkeytail and old Stump puffballs covered in frost.




20th January. -  Late night walk with the dog on a clear night, picked out the Plough constellation, I know this is an easy one but this led me on to the North Star and then to the great bear Ursa Major.  and one other very faint but visible to the naked eye " cassiopia" ( W )








No comments:

Post a Comment