Sunday 29 October 2017

" Common & Widespread "


" Common and Widespread " a small phrase which is the bane of my life at the moment,  a phrase  I frequently encounter with disappointment each time I research a new sighting, especially with my recent foray into the world  of Moths.

I had read recently that the possibility of an influx of rare moths into the country was highly likely, due to recent extreme weather conditions, and the best place to look was on flowering Ivy, which just so happens is available in my garden right now.

I've had the Skinner Moth trap out earlier this month and caught exactly " zilch ", with this in mind thought I would give it another go, so placing the Moth Trap in front of the flowering Ivy.

 I was anticipating a rare specimen or two, but no, once again a very poor catch, in fact just one Moth found its way into my trap. but this looked promising, a Moth I did not recognize, and what a beauty.


A quick look through my latest field guide on Moths, I checked out the "Marbled Green", "Frosted Green" and  " Green Arches "  Moths have such beautiful  names, but none of these looked like my Moth. I flicked through the field guide in anticipation, searching for my assumed rarity, and there it was, staring out at me from the field guide  "Merveille du jour" sounded very European and rare, its name translates to "Wonder of the day" described as one of our most beautiful moths,  a moth that particularly likes flowering Ivy, a moth that flies from September to October, this looked promising, and then that phrase once again "common and widespread" unbelievable.

Merveille du Jour Griposia aprilina


And so, common and widespread it may be, but not in my garden, first time I have seen one.

.......................

Another Moth which just happened to be resting on the glass of my porch door caught my attention, which I managed to capture for a few quick photographs before releasing it.

 Once again turned out to be  "common and Widespread" but still a beautiful Moth when looked at closely.


Feathered Thorn Colotois pennaria

The Feathered Thorn moth, so called for the feather-like antennae of the male, another autumnal Moth, described as common, this being the first time I have noticed one venturing  into my garden.

My garden list of  "common and widespread" moths has now moved on to sixty seven species with these two additions.   I live in hope.

2 comments:

  1. Your so lucky to find one of those beauties!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "lucky" is the optimum word there, thanks for all your comments,
      Always enjoying your northern adventures.

      Delete