Monday 4 February 2019

Bohemian Waxwings at Strood !


The long wait for the Waxwings to filter down through the country to the county of Kent is finally over, they first appeared round about the middle of January with a flock of up to twenty birds being seen at Cobham woodlands. They were then reported feeding around the country park at Jeskyns where the number dwindled down to six birds.

This being one of my dog walking haunts I tried on several occasions to connect with these, but unsuccessfully I must add.

After several days absence from Jeskyns, reports of  six Waxwings frequenting the area opposite the Bounty PH. I wondered if these were the same birds.
This seems to be a favoured feeding area for Waxwings as they keep turning up here most winters.

Unfortunately for the residents of this two storey block of flats the Yellow Rowan Trees which were fully laden with berries are very attractive to the Waxwings which have been seen here over the past few winters, they soon move on when the berries have been exhausted probably to the residents relief.

My planned visit coincided with a fairly heavy snowfall during the night, fortunately the roads were easily passable and I found myself alone at the site.

 I could see just four Waxwings at the top of a nearby tree, I positioned myself near the ornamental yellow Rowan, not to close as to scare the birds off, just a matter of waiting now for them to fly down to the berries.


It wasn't long, first one bird flies down to the tree closely followed by the others. then there's some frantic feeding before they get spooked and fly back up to the safety of the taller trees.

Here's my collection of photographs, certainly not frame fillers. but a lovely bird to watch, especially as you do not see them that often.

Bohemian Waxwing  Bombycilla garrulas










 I wasn't happy with the images I had, too soft, bad light, bad photographer whatever, the weather forecast for the next day was brilliant sunshine, one more chance I thought before the berries were depleted.

As I neared the Bounty PH I was amazed to see a huge throng of cameras, scopes and people all trained on the tree with the last few remaining berries, no birds were in sight, too many people for me I settled for the images I had, maybe another chance at another venue, or maybe next year, who knows, certainly a very popular bird to see.



No comments:

Post a Comment