Friday 14 June 2019

Airport Flowers !


I have been on a bit of mission this year to try and see as many native Orchids as I can, preferably around Kent, not doing too badly at the moment with at least twelve species seen around various sites.

The Orchid season is relatively short I gather, running from about May to August, I have never had a lot of luck with Bee Orchids, most of my finds seem to be more accidental than design.

Recently, I could feel myself feeling slightly tetchy, as many Bee Orchids seem to be reaching there prime, everyone else seems to be finding them, and I still have not been able to get out and look for this lovely Orchid.

And so it was, once again as I parked my car in the short stay car park at Stansted Airport while collecting my daughter. I glanced at the grassy bank running in front of the terminal, unbelievably a Bee orchid, not just one but I counted at least thirty or so. I quickly grabbed some phone pictures to record the sighting, as the rest of my family do not share my enthusiasm.


Bee Orchids at Stansted Airport
Another accidental find, but I will take it.


Orchid Life List                                          2019 Orchid List

 Common Spotted Orchid                        Green Winged Orchid
 Early Purple Orchid                                Early Purple Orchid
Common Twayblade.                               Lady Orchid
Greater Butterfly Orchid                          Early Spider Orchid
 Lady Orchid                                            Fly Orchid
Pyramidal Orchid                                     Common Twayblade
 Bee Orchid                                              Man Orchid
Fragrant Orchid                                        Monkey Orchid
White Helleborine                                    White Helleborine
Southern Marsh Orchid                            Common Fragrant Orchid
Green Winged Orchid                               Bee Orchid
Early Spider Orchid
Fly Orchid
Man Orchid
Monkey Orchid

No comments:

Post a Comment