Sunday 9 June 2019

Queensdown Warren !


My first visit to Queensdown Warren, another chalk downland site a few weeks ago was not that successful, couldn't find any Orchids, just a few Green Hairstreaks.

After visiting Darland Bank not that far away, thought I would try this site again and look for Butterflies.

This time I ventured further into the site, sun was shining and I was enjoying the walk through the reserve. I could see in the distance, a couple of likely suspects on the hillside peering intently down into the grassland, I headed in there direction in the hope that  they would point me in the right direction

As our paths crossed, the usual exchange of sightings and pleasantries were made, there information being infinitely more interesting than mine, they pointed me to an area close by where they had been watching many Adonis Butterflies, I could hardly believe my luck, not only that, I had stumbled across an area containing a new Orchid for the year. the Common Fragrant Orchid, these are said to have thee scent of orange blossom, to be honest I couldn't detect any scent on the spikes that I came across, to be fair these looked fairly small.

Common Fragrant orchid






Orchid Life List                                          2019 Orchid List

 Common Spotted Orchid                         Green Winged Orchid
 Early Purple Orchid                                 Early Purple Orchid
 Common Twayblade.                               Lady Orchid
 Greater Butterfly Orchid                          Early Spider Orchid
 Lady Orchid                                             Fly Orchid
 Pyramidal Orchid                                     Common Twayblade
 Bee orchid                                                Man Orchid
 Fragrant Orchid                                        Monkey Orchid
White Helleborine                                     White Helleborine
Southern Marsh Orchid                             Common Fragrant Orchid
Green Winged Orchid
Early Spider Orchid
Fly Orchid
Man Orchid
Monkey Orchid

Blue Butterflies seemed to be all around me, the majority being Adonis Blue Butterflies, these seem quite easy to photograph as they seemed content to sunbathe on the grass for several minutes at a time.
Having seen a few of these beautiful Butterflies this year I can now differentiate quite easily between these and the Common Blues that share the same grassy habitat.

Adonis Blue




And a couple of images of the female Adonis Blue Butterfly, most females do not have any blue showing apparently.
Female Adonis Blue Butterfly


I was unsure if these were Adonis Blue females, but a quick confirmation from Kent Butterflies gave me this explanation. Female Adonis Butterfly,  [clear white marking around the underwing spots, black lines through the fringe, and blue above and below the lunules on the hindwings. It may well be an ab. with all that colouring.]

No comments:

Post a Comment