Tuesday 28 May 2019

Park Gate Down !

 


Decided to visit Park Gate Down in the depths of the Kentish countryside today, another reserve on my 'to visit' list for 2019. Once again this was one of those car journeys where my 'sat nav' was essential for directions, although it's always a bit worrying when you have been travelling down a single track road for some time, then a grassy central reservation appears down the centre of the track giving the appearance of an old cart track. fortunately no oncoming traffic , and it was with some relief  when I pulled into the small lay-by near the entrance to the reserve.

Park Gate Down has been renamed of late and is now known as the Hector Wilks Reserve after an English botanist and conservationist who was involved developing the reserve from its early stages, a fairly small reserve but set in beautiful countryside setting.



My main area of interest were the flowers, in particular the Orchids known to grow here,  one of three sites in the country where the Monkey Orchid can be found amongst others, hopefully a Butterfly or two. ( the flying kind )

The reserve is set on a some fairly steep chalk grassland, but the footpaths are well marked.
It wasn't long before I picked out the Orchid I was interested in, just coming into bloom and one of the best looking native Orchids I have seen.
There were also  Early Purple Orchids showing but way past their best, a few Common Twayblade, this site also boasts other Orchids growing here, Late Spider Orchid, Musk Orchid, Lady Orchid, Pyramidal, Common Spotted, Bee, up to twelve different species, I could only find three but I am a Orchid novice, the grassland was covered in other wildflowers unknown to me. I must try and learn some of these.

The Monkeys



Emerging Monkey Orchids




Common Twayblade
Butterflies on show included one possible Wall Brown but moving very fast, Brimstone, no sign of any Chalkhill Blues or Marbled Whites on my visit. Lovely reserve to visit in the right season, May to June, must try and fit one more visit in before season ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment