Sunday 26 May 2019

Sheppey Wagtails


Whenever I'm passing through the Isle Of Sheppey I take the opportunity for a drive down the entrance track to Kingshill Farm and the old Elmley RSBP  reserve at the end. unfortunately it seems many other people do the same as there were a long stream of cars snaking there way along the track, not sure how long the new landowners will put with up with this, but people have done it for years, there's always a good chance of some close views of marshland birds, maybe a Hare along the way,  as long as you stay in your car, hopefully no harm is being done to the local wildlife, so while the opportunity is there I joined the steady stream of cars across the Marsh.

I think in future, I'll only do this if visiting the reserve, I can't stand the guilt for some reason.

This was the  reserve that first introduced me to the joys of Birdwatching, back in 1986.
 A sad day when the RSBP left the reserve.

Back to the birds, the usual birds seen along the track are usally Redshank, Lapwing, Skylarks, wildfowl, Herons, Harriers and Short Eared Owls in the right season.

Today was no exception, Redshank, Lapwing and Oystercatchers with chicks, Skylark were there together with at least three pairs of Yellow Wagtail, the highlight of this little 'sortie'

I seemed to have missed the Yellow Wagtails over the last year or so, wrong place, wrong time I expect,so watching these hunting flies and insects in the grass alongside the track was a welcome sight.














No comments:

Post a Comment