Thursday 16 May 2019

Tranquility on the Lake !


Since watching the Great Crested Grebes in Courtship at our local fishing lakes at Dartford, I have called in on several occasions to check on their progress, there appears to be three separate pairs situated on various lakes within the complex, one pair still seem to be sitting on a nest, one pair do not appear to be breeding.

 I have seen reports of juveniles showing on the lake but strangely I have not been able to locate them, up until now. I finally caught up with them today albeit rather distantly in the middle of the lake, but there they were, four juveniles with both parents, a picture of tranquility on the lake.

And as a bonus one of the juveniles was seen riding on the parents back, a photo opportunity I have been hoping for, just a bit distant.






I watched the family for some time, not sure how old the juveniles are but they were certainly staying close to  their parents, hopefully they will all make to adulthood, but as  I remember from my youth when I used to fish at these lakes, there are some big Pike in these waters.


One of my favourite water birds these and probably a good candidate for national bird if that debate 
ever returns.

No comments:

Post a Comment