Wednesday 10 July 2019

Bit of a ' Stag Do '






I've had years when I have not seen a Stag Beetle, this year I have had four sightings, three of which have been in my garden.

 Not sure if this has had anything to do with it , but a couple of years ago I placed a number of vertical logs in the garden as suggested by one of the conservation groups to provide a home for Stag Beetles to lay their eggs.

Coincidence probably, although like to think I have done my bit for the Stag Beetles, you never know.



First sighting was of two males on the lawn, early evening, I nearly stepped on them. one of them larger than the other. after photographing them I placed them on the log pile, where on checking later both had moved on.

Male Stag Beetles 
Sighting number three came a few days latter, another fine Stag Beetle this one under my mature Pear tree, this time a female. all these sightings were early evening between 17:00 - 18:00 hours on a warm sunny evening.

female Stag Beetle


My fourth sighting was of a male Stag Beetle in flight as I walked my dog early in the morning, flew straight towards me causing me to duck out of the way.

Always nice to see this magnificent Beetle.

No comments:

Post a Comment