Friday 12 July 2019

Mystery tour to Wye !

I have been exploring so many new sites in Kent at the moment, I find myself falling behind in reporting my sightings on this blog.

 My first Orchid sighting this year was the Early Spider Orchid, so I thought it would be nice to may be finish off with the Late Spider Orchid.

Early Spider Orchid seen in May 2019 at another site

Orchid Enthusiasts are quite protective on the whereabouts of some of these scarcer Orchids, with good reason I might add, so I count myself fortunate to  have received  some information on where, If I was lucky I may still find a Late Spider Orchid in flower, as they were reaching the end of their flowering season.

This was in a lovely part of the Kent Downs called Wye. The directions I were given were very good, unfortunately the street signage not so good,  but  I eventually arrived at the right place and very quickly found the Late Spider Orchids, most in protective cages, and as Orchid enthusiasts say 'have gone over' meaning that the flowering spike was finished. but there were still a few remaining flowers to be seen. I think another few days and they would be gone too, so I was very fortunate to see them.

Next year I hope to see them in their prime.

Late Spider Orchid

Late Spider Orchid

Late Spider Orchid

These Late Spider Orchids when first seen look very much like the Bee Orchid, the patterning can be very variable which does not help, the important I.D. factor here is the shape of the lower lip
The photo below was of an Bee Orchid growing in the same vicinity as the Late Spiders, which I must admit caused me some confusion, but the shape of the lower lip being more rounded is quite obvious to me now.

Bee Orchid.

I thought these Late Spider Orchids would be the last seen this year, but still some other species to see in the form of Helleborines.


No comments:

Post a Comment