Friday 12 July 2019

Painted Lady !


It was about this time of the year, maybe a week earlier, that I had a close encounter with a Silver Washed Fritillary at Shorne Country Park around the fishing lakes.

 So with some spare time, thought I would check the area out again, I found the Hemp Agrimony growing on the banks of the fishing lake which attracted the Fritillary last year,  the flowers not quite open which was disappointing,but a Fritillary seeing flying around the treetops close by, was more than likely the Silver Washed Fritillary and felt promising.

Another visit required, as I made my way around the lake a butterfly flew into view, not the Fritillary but a Painted Lady.

Up to now most of my Painted Lady encounters have been with very faded and rather tatty individuals, so I was pleasantly surprised to see this Painted Lady Butterfly in pristine condition, unusally this one kept its wings tightly closed giving  some nice views of the underwing, and, as the sun suddenly came out from behind a cloud, the Butterfly open its wings to reveal the gorgeous colours of its upper wings.








No comments:

Post a Comment