Saturday 22 September 2018

Clouded yellow


Butterfly season will soon be over for this year, but I'm still seeing a few species here and there when the sun is shining, Red Admiral, Peacock, Speckled Wood, Small White, Small Copper, Common Blue, Small Heath  to name a few.

 I finally caught up with a fine looking Clouded Yellow which I have been looking for these last few weeks, this one was nectaring on the yellow flowers alongside the track at Rainham.

 Funny enough, I saw one in the exact same spot a few weeks ago, I couldn't focus on that one quick enough, it was soon off at a rate of knots impossible to follow.

One other was seen at  Oare Marshes last month, that was a very pale coloured  individual, also too fast to get a photograph.

So I was quite pleased to get these photographs, a shame there all closed wing shots, but these never seem to open their wings when I see them.

 Clouded Yellow     Colias croceus,




Most of my sightings over the years have been of the odd single butterfly usally near coastal sites, how I would like to see one of those " Clouded Yellow Years" when, with the right conditions many hundreds turn up along the coast. I have seen reports of this happening back in 2006, 2013, could be happening again soon. all that's needed, are large broods to coincide with a warm summer, and the winds to be blowing from southern Europe and North Africa.  Not too much to ask for.




2 comments:

  1. Nice photos. I hadn't seen a Clouded Yellow this year in the UK (seen quite a few in Europe) until last Sunday when we went to Wallasea Island (my first visit) + there were 5 or 6- the second most numerous butterfly after Common Blue on what had been a sunny but blustery afternoon. Also saw my first Wall of the year- fresh condition (3rd brood?).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, always nice to see a Clouded Yellow, I have only ever seen a Wall once, and that was down at Seven sisters country park,very attractive butterfly.

      Delete