Wednesday 12 September 2018

Southern Hawker !


I find it hard to believe that I have only just come across this large Hawker and not registered that I am looking at the Southern Hawker, especially as this is suppose to be a very common species here in the south of the country.

This species which flies between June and October coincides with the large number of Migrant Hawkers that I usally encounter, I can only assume that maybe I have not been paying enough attention to the individuals seen and assuming that they are all Migrant Hawkers I'm ashamed to admit. but saying that, there was a marked size difference. surely it would have registered that this was something different.

 There again could be the first time our paths have crossed.

I came across at least four of these Southern Hawkers, three of which were basking in the sunshine on brambles, the fourth, true to form came head to head with me as I walked along the woodland track. my field guides tells me that they are quite an inquisitive dragonfly. All were seen  on the edge of the woodland, all were males.

Southern Hawker male   Aeshna cyanea

Key identification points:- The two large yellow shoulder patches on the top of the thorax just behind the eyes often termed the "Headlights" were quite distinctive, and showed up quite well on the individuals seen. The overall colouring of the thorax was clearly a lime green with narrower brown stripes. The Migrant Hawker which I usally see, has a yellow background colour to the thorax, and the yellow patches on top of the thorax are quite small in comparison
The blue coloured bands on the lower segments of the abdomen S9 and S10 could clearly be seen, the twin spots on the remaining segments were green in colour, on the top of the abdomen segments, blue on the side. whereas the male Migrant Hawker has twin blue spots on all the segments. The female has yellowish spots and bands in stead of blue. but I am yet to see the female.
Segment 2 has a narrow lime green narrow triangular mark, giving it a more mushroom like shape to me, again using the Migrant Hawker for comparison, which has a golf tee shaped mark on S2.

Strangely, since being more aware of this dragonfly I have seen no more to date, so maybe not that common after all. I certainly will be paying more attention in the future.

Southern Hawker (no2)

Southern Hawker No3

Nice to see  a new Dragonfly species, still ticking off the more so called common species.







No comments:

Post a Comment