Friday 21 September 2018

Woodpecker vs Pear tree




I'm rather fond of the Olde Pear Tree in my garden, being the main focal point for most of my garden bird activity, there's always a cry of  "quick look at the pear tree" especially when a Great Spotted Woodpecker grace's us with a visit

We don't get that many visits, last year we had a few sightings, this is the first this year, which looks to me like a young female, no red patch on the nape of the neck and still some remnants of a juvenile red cap on the head.

There usally attracted to the peanut feeders, this female was looking for insects on the trunk, a beautiful bird to watch, although as I noticed chips of bark starting to fly off in all directions, my heart sunk at little with concern for the health of my favorite tree.





 A quick check after the woodpecker had left the scene, they never stay for long anyway,
 no real damage to my beloved tree, to be honest the visits are quite infrequent, 
and the Woodpecker only doing what a Woodpecker does.

No comments:

Post a Comment